IF YOU PLAY GOLF YOU ARE MY FRIEND...

Frankly, I wish I had invented the title phrase. Without knowing, I had the same thoughts, but it was made famous as a title to one of Master Professional Harvey Penick's books. Me? I love golf. I think people who play golf, and particularly those who play and understand its history, its rules -and play by the principles of the rules, even if not by all the rules-, and its unimaginable difficulty to master it, know that it is truly a special game beyond the skill of learning how to hit a golf ball. The beginning and end of this game is that you are the sole judge of your whole round, not anyone else.

Take for instance the unfortunate mishap to Web Simpson yesterday: he was leading by one shot with three holes to go, when he approached the ball only a few inches from the hole. Without taking his full stance, he grounded the club a few inches behind the ball to hit the obvious "tap in" and the ball moves before his stroke.  Technically, he did not "address the ball" as in the definitions of the Rules of Golf, but inside him, his conscience said he did because the shot did not require a "perfect" stance.

The consequence was a penalty stroke that allowed Bubba Watson to tie him and eventually Simpson lost a playoff that should not have been necessary. What he did cost him several hundred thousand dollars and his first PGA Tour title ever, but it gained him the respect and admiration of those of us who appreciate and recognize character and integrity. I personally hope he wins many tournaments.

It is not the first or last time that this has happened. You say, "well, these guys play for so much money that it doesn't matter". Trust me, it does, not only in your bank account, but in your conscience. Take for instance a $5 Nassau. Would you really cheat if you had the chance, for $5.00 or $500,000? Does it matter? It sure does, and that is why a majority who understand the principles of the game, even if playing "preferred lies", would not hesitate to call such penalty on themselves as well.  The small minority that doesn't, does not represent the spirit of the game.

Here is the thing: there is "casual" golf and there is "competitive golf". You can play both or a combination. You play with your friends for a few bucks and it is "serious-casual" golf. You agree on certain rules and you all play by them. You play with your wife, and it can be "serious casual" golf, or merely "casual". In short, unless you are playing a tournament, IT IS CASUAL, no matter if your wife didn't give you that 3 footer that you ended up missing... (she knows you better than your friends!).

Paola Marie
Nine years ago, my daughter Paola, now married and running her law firm in Oklahoma City, traveled from Oklahoma to new Mexico to hone her game for her last season as a golfer at Oral Roberts University. I helped her work on the parts of her game that needed "tweaking" and we had a great few days of talk and fun together. However, when she went back, she failed to qualify for the last tournament of her college career. She sent me a hand written letter -of course saved in my family mementos- that describes why some of us really love this game. It reads as follows:

Papi:
Hey! I just thought I’d write you a note about life here. Two days ago… my college golf ended in 9 holes. I was so sad on Friday and playing the “what if” game. What’s weird is that I feel that I’m playing at my best ever in college. My swing (especially irons) is on! For whatever reason it just did not work out.

My teammates were all sad. This was not the perfect finish I wanted for my college golf. I wish it wasn’t over, but this chapter is closed. It still feels strange to think “no more golf practice”. I enjoyed much of it, especially the solitude. I developed a deep appreciation for the game. It will never leave. I’ve grown as a person through my college golf experience. So it has been well worth every bogey, every frustration, every hook, slice, three-putt , etc. Also the hardships of the team and as a player, some of the conflicts with the coaches. Somehow, it all turned out for the good. When I think of how much golf has influenced my life, I am so thankful for it and for you, who introduced me to golf.

I’ve learned that honesty is priceless, endurance is strengthening and character is life shaping. This is definitely the greatest game! I hope to keep my game in a competitive form and to have an occasional round in the 70’s. Thank you for spending so much time with me and my golf swing. You really helped. I’m sorry that it did not turn out the way we desired, but it allowed for us to spend some quality time together and taught me to learn patience and innovative lesson teaching. I hope that you know that I honestly tried my hardest.

I love you Papi and thank you for giving me such an opportunity to be a golfer.

Love, Paola

P.S. Wonder why I sometimes say that "golf does not necessarily build integrity and honesty, BUT IT ALWAYS REVEALS ONE'S CHARACTER"?